Updated on 23rd January 2013 at 12:00 am


Talking about your worries and problems can be a very good way of releasing some of the stress that can build up when you’re a carer. Your family, friends and the medical and social work team can all listen to your concerns.

But sometimes it’s best to talk to someone who knows exactly what you’re going through, because it’s happening to them too. Other carers can offer kindness, sympathy, understanding and advice, and they can make you feel less isolated.

A number of carer’s organisations, such as Carers UK and Carers Trust have local groups around the country. Some organisations for specific conditions, such as the MS Society and Macmillan Cancer Support, also have local groups. Macmillan supports more than 900 cancer self-help and support groups across the UK. If the person you care for has a condition or illness for which there’s a supportive organisation, check if that organisation has a group in your area.

The facilities and services offered can vary from group to group. Your local centres can tell you what’s available in your area. Local councils also often support or run independent support groups. Contact your local council’s social services department to get details of groups near you.

Please tell us if you are a carer or someone cares for you so that we can offer the help and support you may need. Please ask at reception for a form to let us know.

Further information for carers is available on NHS Choices. Please click here for the carers page.